Saturday, August 2, 2008

First Week

This past week they sent us out in small groups to visit a volunteer and see what life as a PCV is really like. To welcome us the community wanted to feed us a guinea fowl. Which was cool...except they gave us the job of hunting and killing it. The five of us grabbed small rocks and ran after the bird (like a chicken) and it flew into a tree. So we threw all the rocks but it took Ba Jolie and his slingshot to shoot it out of the tree. Trent grabbed the fallen bird, stepped on its wing and went to work slicing off its neck. I thought I was more hard-core but it was tough to watch. Then, me and Mindy had to dip it in boiling water and pull out all the feathers...which takes a long time. But it was all worth it! Guinea Fowl is good stuff.
We also got to meet the chief but we had to walk 8k one way. I brought stupid shoes and I have cuts and blisters but its all cool. I got to meet a real African Chief. He has 5 wives and 25 kids. yikes!
We move in with our families tomorrow. They will take care of us throughout training which is until Sept. 28. Hope things are going well in America!

3 comments:

Bonzai said...

love the story of the guinea fowl. Now you have a good story to tell your kids one day "back in the day, i remember plucking a ..." Sorry to hear about the feet but I'm stoked you got to meet a real African Chief. Was he friendly? Was he stressed out with all them... never mind. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Gram put it this wak, we think of that Britters "every waking moment." peace out. love you Britt. Dad

aschoch said...

wow, Jeff will be proud to hear about your recent "hunt". Miss you a ton... keep the stories coming, it's so cool to hear what's going on over there. Love you! Ali

jj_hearn said...

wow...hunting is sweet isn't it... anyways love the story and want more. I think you should write a book about your experience. I read to my mom about your blog and she enjoyed it too. Love you much Wang