Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Its Our Way

I was sitting with a glass of wine enjoying the first day in weeks that the sun had decided to peek through the clouds. That morning I had spent fishing with my bamama. With two long sticks and a piece of twine knotted to the ends of our fishing poles. Dressed in my new rainboots “ma jumbo” I trudged behind my barefooted bamama as she squished through the tall grasses and moist soil to the bank of our dam. She put the worm on my hook and with a piece of a flip-flop acting as a bobber, I dropped the line from our perch a couple feet above the water’s edge. Quickly the minnow sized fish were biting and since Im not one to touch anything squirmy we developed a system whereby she did the dirty work of baiting the hook and putting the fish in our bucket, while I got to feel the anticipation when dropping the line and accomplishment when pulling out the line with a dangling fish. After a few hours we had enough for the children’s relish (the term for the meat or vegetables accompanying nshima) so we arrived back at home to sit and rest. I proudly showed my bataata our catch and he laughed as I told him that I feared to touch the fish, asking me “Why do you fear a relish? Its our way.”
I was sunburned and tired like every good fishing day, feeling that I conquered the depths, provided food and yada yada yada. The pop in the swelling of my ego occurred with the pitter patter of 4 yr old Castro’s feet and the slurring of children’s excited words. Kid Tonga takes me almost as long as Old Man’s Tonga to decipher. But eventually I realized Castro said my bamama was calling me because the baby is coming.
Baby is coming? I got up from my comfortable seat and walked to the house of my bamama’s married daughter, Felista, located on the edge of our family compound about 100 yards from my hut. Baby is coming? Lately we have had puppies and goats popping up so I figured it was some other creature pro-creating and my bamama wanted to order me around.
Upon reaching the home, it was eerily quiet. I thought I was in the wrong place. No movement in the cikuta (outdoor kitchen). No movement in the goat’s home. Even the chickens had taken off for the day. So I started shouting the usual “odi” acknowledging my presence and began wondering if either Castro was playing a joke or my Tonga was much worse than I thought. Then I heard my bamama beckoning me from inside the house. I walked in to the dark, mud smeared walls as my eyes adjusted I saw my bamama standing over Felista who was lying naked on the thin mattress and breathing heavily.
Baby Person is coming!
“Lweendo we need a torch. And gloves. Run fast fast!”
So I sprint out of the darkness into the bright day with my mind racing faster than my feet. Baby Person is coming. We need to call 911. Baby Person is coming!
Upon entering my own dark hut I stumble around blind finding the gloves in my PC med kit and grabbing the headlamp off my bed. Then when sprinting back to Felista’s hut I made a conscious effort to focus my mind. Thank God I already started drinking. Its game time. I am 911.
Entering the hut for the second time I took in the surroundings. The thin mattress, lacking sheets, was a foot above the dirt floor on top a crudely crafted frame. I put the headlamp on my bamama’s head and we both put on gloves. I spread a piece of plastic over the mattress and Felista lay atop it. I held her legs and my bamama pressed on her stomach. And what do you know you seriously just have to catch the baby. The eerie quiet I perceived earlier now felt mystical. The blue slimy head was followed by all the correct body parts while a puff of “wow” escaped my lips. I began wiping away the fluids that seemed to encase the baby like shrink wrapped goods at the supermarket. My bamama picked up the same spool of thread we had used for fishing line that morning and cut two pieces. I held the sprawling fingers and toes as my bamama tied the knots around the umbilical cord. She then used a razor blade to cut the cord and blood swirled on the plastic with the other fluids. My bamama utters the first words encouraging the small gurgles to become a loud cry. Then she rushed outside for water as I nervously held the baby adding my English encouragements for the baby to cry. I took those few seconds to tell Felista she now had a baby girl. Then my bamama rushed in and spit water on the baby’s back which immediately drew forth the beautiful wails of a baby person. I wrapped the baby girl in a citenge and another thicker blanket then placed her on the dirt floor. We turned our attention back to the new mother and the dangling cord attached to a placenta. My bamama again placed her hands on the belly while gently pulling on the cord but when only half of the placenta would come our strategy was for gravity to take over. So I grabbed Felista’s arms and she slid off the bed along with the plastic to squat on the ground. Quickly enough it was finished and again Felista lay on the bed as I placed the baby beside her. My bamama finally smiled and let loose the African woman praise yelp as I was half crying and half laughing.
“Ah, was this your first time Lweendo?”
Which made me only laugh louder. Yes, definitely yes.
My bamama went outside to dig a hole behind the house for the placenta and I walked back to my hut telling the men sitting so casually under a tree that we have been given a baby girl.
My bataata said we are lucky the baby is ok and the mother is ok. And after he laughed at my inquiry into his presence at any births he said, “no, no. I fear too much.”
But why do you fear? Its our way.
I weighed the baby 1 week later and she weighs a measly 4.4lbs. They asked me to fill out the birth form for the clinic and as they proudly watched my hand writing the name of the village and the necessary facts they officially announced the arrival of Baby Lweendo.

5 comments:

Patsy Jean said...

Wahhh!!! A tiny baby person! I had Patrick at home and threw his placenta in the garbage. Kinda weird, but I didn't know what else to do with it. Yay Britters! This is an awesome story!

Shelley Martin said...

Hey it's Shelley (Croft) Martin. Ran across your blog via FB. And all I can say is wow, what a story, I'm sure that will stick with you for life. I too had a homebirth and there is nothing like it, experiencing the gift of life in it's purest form, trusting God (and this body he created) knows what he's doing. Incredible. And what a rush. What a gift you gave those women and to know now there is a little living breathing thing named after you. Humbling. I love it.

Unknown said...

Well, usually I reply quick but for some reason, the first couple of times I read this one I was so blown away, overwhelmed with joy, pride in my girl serving and having an African namesake, and just feeling so blessed by you, I forgot to write every time. So, tonight I talked about your reaction to the miracle of birth in my message at Friday Night Heights, came home and Jim Roberts had posted your blog with some kind words on facebook so I read it again just now. Zach is sleeping on cushions by my bed at Penny's home in Valley Center after driving down to SD and having awesome discussion about Kingdom stuff. Courtney is caring for little Ryder. Ali is doing so well with her babies, hubby and ministry. Mom and I are awaiting our next adventure. I'm laying in bed wide awake at midnight feeling so grateful for your work and wishing there was some way I could meet you in Zambia to enjoy your September completion celebration. Can't wait to greet you at whatever airport you show up at in the states. Wish I could make it fast fast, but God is in charge and you have more to experience and more people to bless. BTW, I totally get the puffing a "wow" experience. Though not nearly as rustic of a setting as your african "delivery room" (which fascinates me), nevertheless I witnessed the miracle of birth four times. It's our way. I marvel as I think back on watching your cord being cut to where God has you now. I love you so much dear Lweendo. YO Daddy

AuntPeg said...

Hey Britters..I read this post by way of gram who had just spent a few days with your folks..she brought it back so proud and made sure when I promised a pint of blood that I would return it tonight as she was so proud of you and I think she will carry the copy of the post with her forever while she still walks the earth..and maybe beyond..I got on the site as I have not read it in a long time..ya know no internet etc...all I can say is after I stopped crying..which was a while..why was I crying??is it the ole "So proud of you".no it was a deep thankfulness that you have gone forth and are doing what a lot of people could only dream of..while Aunt Peg doesn't need to say how proud I am I do need to say my heart is pumping hard and my tears are burning my cheeks because I know what a loving spirit you are under the funny you..how gentle you must have been..you have many qualities that people do not get in a lifetime if they are lucky and to hear them in your stories of life there and knowing how blessed these people are for having you there and what a wonderful blessing this all is for you just makes me happy..looking forward to seeing you again and I can't wait to see how much you have grown as a person in your life and times of doing it their way..love you much..take care and see you when you get back..Aunt Peg

Unknown said...

Wow . . . that's a Peace Corps story. I doubt I'll ever deliver any babies in The Phillies . . . even if I was a girl.

You win, PCV of the month this month for sure!

Hahahaha!!! I attended an extremely long and boring graduation ceremony. That's gotta count for something right?