Friday, September 26, 2008

Officially a PCV

Swear-in was today at the US ambassadors house in Lusaka. Everyone got all dressed up and it was a lot different to see all of us with make-up and skirts and the boys even wore suits. We will have tonight to celebrate and then early tomorrow we all pack in the land cruisers for our trips out to our provinces. I have to buy a bed and some kitchen stuff for my house and I should be moving into my village on Monday or Tuesday.

This past week was great. We had the last language test on Tuesday and I passed. But one of the girls in my group didnt, so its just 2 of us moving to Southern Province. (she has a week to study and try again and then she can move into her village). We also had final presentations to our technical HIV classes and everyone loved my impersonations of our teachers. On Wednesday we had the families come for cultural day and that was hilarious. They were all so proud of us and the food was awesome. There was a lot of dancing and I even had to give a speech in Tonga. Everyone laughed at the right spots so I guess it actually sounded like Tonga. sweet!

Last week we had to practice teaching at a nearby school and I taught 40 8th graders. I had them write down any questions about anything they wanted to know.
My favorite:
1. Is the WWF real or acting?
2. What is your phone number?
3. How does a girl feel when sleeping with a boy?
My answers:
1. Its acting until someone gets hurt. Then its real entertainment.
2. ah, but you are too young
3. It depends..........hahahaha I really talked about decision making and the different parts of a person that feels, like physcial/spiritual/emotional. awesome, i know.

So yea, Im headed out to the bush. Im allowed to leave for Thanksgiving so I will try to post then. Otherwise it wont be until December. So I guess, no news is good news.

I will write letters and please send me some because then I dont feel so lonely. Its been a good 9 weeks of training and Im ready to live by myself and learn alot, and hey maybe even teach a little.

God bless and Peace OUT!
Lweendo

3 comments:

Bonzai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonzai said...

Dear Lweendo,

You did it again, you got me crying and laughing at the same time.

Congratulations on passing your exams. I know you worked hard and it's an AMAZING accomplishment. Gosh I would have loved to have seen you at the Amabassadors place and the swear in etc. I bet you were hilarious impersonating your teachers. I love it! I can't believe you gave a speech in tonga. I'm blown away.
Take care in the bush my Britters. Be safe and wise but fearless. I'm sitting here in Zach's school in the cafe typing on my laptop and i better go because these young college students why this overweight white man is getting all emotional in the cafe. I will write and I look forward to your letters or blogs or calls. I hang on every word. I'm proud of you honey and I'm totally inspired by you. Peace Out. Dad
PS: I had to delete the first time I wrote this because I said I'm totally inspirted by you.

jenna said...

Britters,

Wow! The WWF? For real? I loved your responses to all of the questions. Somehow you always are guided to the words and ideas people need. I hope you've received my letter! Look forward to hearing from you.

PS...just to make you jealous: I had coffee with "Dad" in the coffee shop this week!!!!

Love you,
Jenna