Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Second Site Visit

We are in Southern Province for a couple weeks staying with a volunteer one year in and also visiting our new villages. I will be in Dimbwe which is 50k from town. Good thing Im such a fierce biker! The volunteer we stayed with this past week has shown me some great cooking tips. homemade tortillas and salsa are a nice break from nshima and cabbage.
A couple days ago we had a meeting with a traditional healer. He said the most common ailments that he cures are when a man doesnt have the apetite for marriage (zambian way of saying homosexuality), a spouse has too many dreams of her deceased partner, and bad luck. Most of the treatment involves grounding roots and boiling the mixture with water. Then either breathing the steam, drinking the mixture or making small cuts on your body with razor blades (they call them tattoos) and being splashed with the mixture.
We asked where he learned these remedies and he said he has dreams and visions of certain sicknesses and their correct treatments. Now up to this I was very respectful and interested. But then he mentioned how he helps a woman that cant conceive. Basically it involves a root and certain cavaties of the boody. At that point I had a "coughing attack from the dust" and had to take a break. I mean seriously, adoption is always an option.
He showed us the jars that he keeps his concoctions in. Noticing the jar labeled "Die and Push" we asked what it treated. The healer told us about "talking coffin" This happens when a person dies of unknown causes because it is believed that someone is resposible. So the healer makes tattoos on the body, rubs in the mixture, and asks it to lead them to the murderor. People then carry the coffin around the village and they are led to the guilty person. African village ouji board?
So in reflection: it was very bizarre and |I think about the Christians that convince themselves of a fair God that probably supernaturally helps these isolated tribes...maybe his dreams are real but Im not trying out any roots.

Peace Out
Lweendo (my tonga name "journey")

In other news I had to say goodbye to Trent, my best buddy in the PC. He decided to take a different direction in life. I respect his decision and Im very thankful for his friendship over these past few weeks. And since your probably reading this "Im a woman for change so I will beat you as my husband!" I miss you pesi mbubo badela, ndanywa mosi zyotatwe in your honor! Love, Ba B

6 comments:

jenna said...

Brittersssss,
Roots in certain orifices?! Hm...if you bring back some "home remedies" I sure hope its not that one. Have you been getting my texts via Skype? If not, I'll tell you this: I received the letter I sent you in the mail. It was returned because of postage problems. I'll be re-sending it soon. Take care, Blitelia...I'm off to Philosophy with Baird :)

brittanyplease said...

Compton, i get your texts but Im still pissed I dont have a letter from you. Do you know how sad I am at mail call on Thursdays! I mean mug all the other kids. miss ya.

Bonzai said...

Dear Lweendo. Thanks so much for updating your blog. I check it out often and am always thrilled to read of your experiences. Wow the medine man dude is a trip. Stay away from the roots!!! I'm sorry your friend had to head back but I'm glad you had some good times together. I sent you a snail mail letter. Did you get it? I just did 50k on a website to find out it's 31 miles. You will be 31 miles from town! Holy Crap! Take care my Britters. Know you are in our thoughts and prayers every day. I love you. Dad

T n OKC said...

ROCK ON BRITTERS :)
Can I still call you that or should I say Lweendo? LOL
Glad to read all your blog posts. Sounds like quite an adventure. I am proud of you and look forward to reading more and seeing the awesome things God will do through you.
Keep up the good work. And I'll put you down for the Freitas trip to the Hotter than Hell in August 2010 (will you be back by then? :) and you can ride 100 miles with me.
Love ya cuz,
Tony

Courtney said...

Hey sister!! I mailed you a letter today get excited... Dude Mr. Medicine man is definately going nowhere near my cavaties when I come to visit. I am so sad I missed your call, I have been missing you like crazy!! I love you sis!

smokyt said...

You are such a sweetheart...and I am so thankful that you are now and forever a part of my life. We will be friends to the end whether you like it or not. Your soul is pure and good and I may be a third of the way around the world but I am with you always in spirit. I heart you so much Brittany :-)